I'M AN AMAZON AUTHOR!!!

I've published several books, in a variety of genres, on Amazon.
Search under the name, "Marcia Gunnett Woodard".

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

All In the Family

Then some children were brought to Him so that He might lay His hands on them and pray; and the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, “Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” (Matthew 19:13-14)

Jesus loves the little ones like me, me, me.
Jesus loves the little ones like me, me, me.
Little ones like me sat upon His knee. 
Jesus loves the little ones like me, me, me. (1)

"Well, I'll be! You're Martha's girl...Richard and Betty's oldest... Ralph's boys."

Have you ever noticed what happens at family gatherings? Suddenly, you're not Dr. So-and-so, or Reverend Blank, or Mrs. X, the Teacher of the Year. You're just somebody's kid--a part of the family! You're a small piece of something much bigger.

When one has a heartache, we all shed a tear,
And rejoice in each victory, in this family so dear. (2)

Maybe some people don't enjoy family get-togethers because they don't have the confidence to allow themselves to go back to that "lowest common denominator"--the children we are. It can be scary to have to identify myself in "child terms" rather than who I am or what I do -- not to be "the published writer" or "Professor Smith's wife." Kids don't have accomplishments and titles to hide behind. Their joys, their hurts, their fears are right out there. Kids know that's how you find someone to share those feelings.

Children of the Heavenly Father,
Safely in His bosom gather.
Nestling bird nor star in heaven
Such a refuge e'er was given. (3)

In the same way, as children of the Heavenly Father, we need to stop hiding behind our titles, our accomplishments, our awards. We need to let people in, past our Sunday morning smile, our "just fine!" our "gotta run--busy, busy, busy!" We need to be willing just to be Jim whose dad has Alzheimer's, or Gloria who can't find work, or Chris who struggles with impure thoughts. Not only is that the way we will find help and healing for ourselves--we can free others. Our transparency, our willingness to be vulnerable, helps open the door for them to seek wholeness.

But somebody has to go first....
 
But if we are the body
Why aren't His arms reaching?
Why aren't His hands healing?
Why aren't His words teaching? (4)


References:
1. Jesus Loves the Little Ones Like Me - Unknown
2. The Family of God - Bill and Gloria Gaither
3. Children of the Heavenly Father - Carolina Sandell-Berg
4. If We are the Body - Casting Crowns

No comments: