I'M AN AMAZON AUTHOR!!!

I've published several books, in a variety of genres, on Amazon.
Search under the name, "Marcia Gunnett Woodard".

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Ch-Ch-Changes

Nine months ago, I started a blog post about change. Nine months! That's long enough to have a baby! Apparently, it's the gestation period of some blog postings, as well!

On Nov. 4, 2005, I started writing about my second-floor office and how many of the dozen trees on our property I could see from there.

"One tree is directly in front of me as I sit at my desk and look out the window. I don't think I've ever been this 'up close and personal' with a tree before in my life! I feel as if I should name it...."

I watched, intrigued, as the tree's leaves changed from completely green to completely yellow in a matter of days. I started to think about what I'd witnessed out my window...searching for its "parabolical" meaning. Then I got stuck.

Since that day nine months ago, I've experienced a lot of changes of my own — illness and new life, loss and gain. And as all these changes have spun around me, I've continued to watch my trees. I've seen them hit by storms that broke off branches. In one instance, the weather was so severe that it ripped away half the tree. I've noticed some of the trees suffering the effects of age and disease.

I've also witnessed positive changes in my trees. I've seen leaves change color, green to gold, seemingly overnight. I've watched leaf buds swell, and burst, and baby leaflets grow into full-size leaves. I noticed a hummingbird hovering among the high branches.

All of life includes changes—some positive, some negative. Some changes add to our blessings while others seem to rip beloved treasures from our hands. It seems as if everyone has something to say about change.

Changes - David Bowie

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
(turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-changes
Oh, look out you rock 'n rollers
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
(turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-changes
Pretty soon now you're gonna get a little older
Time may change me
But I can't trace time
Time may change me
But I can't trace time

I don't know about other people, but I need something stronger, more eternal than Bowie's words to turn to when I'm staring into the face of change. This old hymn has some real things to say about facing change.

Abide With Me - Words: Henry F. Lyte

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.


Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;
Earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away;
Change and decay in all around I see;
O Thou who changest not, abide with me.


I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness.
Where is death's sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if Thou abide with me.

All growth brings change. All change brings loss. All loss brings grief. — Author Unknown

"O Thou who changest not, abide with me."

2 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Thanks for remembering me with the biopsy. It's only minimally tender today. I still don't know the results.

I was sitting in the teacher inservice this morning and something was said that made me think of you - - - and wish to pass it on.

It's not new - - but it is deeply profound in its simplicity. It's just this: God loves you even through this.

Keetha Broyles said...

Would you please tell Anna that I talked to Mrs. Brodt, and it is all worked out for Anna to be my TA during 6th period. I look forward to having her in my room TWICE every day this school year!!!!!